Welcome to the Barre Town Middle and Elementary School Health Office
The BTMES Nurses believe that the goal of School Health Services is to promote the health and well-being of each student physically, mentally and socially. Current research shows that the student health has a direct effect on his/her ability to fully access his/her education.
To attain this goal, we:
- believe that each student in our school has the right to access nursing care;
- view each student holistically by acknowledging physiological, psychological, sociocultural, developmental and educational needs;
- believe that collaboration with family and educational team is of utmost importance in planning, implementing and evaluating the student’s healthcare plan and needs. The nurses will assist families in obtaining optimal holistic healthcare goals for students when appropriate;
- will respect the confidentiality of students under the FERPA guidelines as mandated by law, while functioning as a student advocate within the school, family, and community setting;
- provide health teaching in various settings such as individual student encounters in the health office, personal contact with families, and within the school community;
- strive to create an environment where every student/school nurse interaction is an opportunity for learning; and
- acknowledge that professional growth and enrichment is an on-going process.
The nurses participate in continuing education to maintain a current and effective knowledge base.
"School nursing, a specialized practice of public health nursing, protects and promotes student health, facilitates normal development, and advances academic success. School nurses, grounded in ethical and evidence-based practice, are the leaders that bridge health care and education, provide care coordination, advocate for quality student-centered care, and collaborate to design systems that allow individuals and communities to develop their full potentials." Approved by the NASN Board of Directors June 2016
- Approved by the NASN Board of Directors June 2016.
Additional Health Information:
Measles Information - Top 4 things parents need to know about measles
Immunizations - Facts and information for families on Immunizations
VT Dept of Health Immunization Regulations
VT Dept of Health Religious Immunization Exemption Form
Health Office Update - Latest information about what's new in our Health Office
How to Treat a Sprain Injury - information for parents and students on how to treat a sprain injury
The B.R.A.T. Diet - information on how to treat an upset stomach
Head Injury Information - information on returning to school and play following a concussion
Head Lice Information - information on how to identify and treat head lice.