To the Barre UUSD Community,
Here is your Friday update from the Barre schools:
• We continue to work on planning for remote learning, officially beginning April 13. Our Instructional Leadership Team is preparing our Continuity of Learning Plan (CLP) for the Vermont Agency of Education which will define how education will be "delivered" to students for the remainder of the year. The four guiding principles established by the Agency for Continuity of Learning are:
a. Health and Safety
d. Remote Learning
The plan will consist of four sections:
2. Structures for Student Success
3. Instruction and Feedback
4. Ensuring Accessibility
Each section contains Essential Elements to address as we design the plan and our learning. Much of this planning has happened already through the hard work of our staff; we are now at the point of compiling this and entering it into the template provided by the state. This provides the opportunity for further coordination, consolidation, streamlining, and refining.
• As previously mentioned, the phase of "Continuity of Learning" officially begins on Monday, April 13. Next week will be our final week of "maintenance". This means that teachers will still be reaching and maintaining contact with students at some level but as they prepare for the following week, "remote learning" may appear to slow down. This appearance will vary depending on the situation, as the current state of maintenance looks different in different schools, programs, and grade levels.
• If you have not seen it yet, please see our Guidelines and Information for Families Around Online Meetings with Students at https://resources.finalsite.
• We are aware that much of our communication is through electronic media, and some of our students and families are limited in their access. This is providing a challenge across Vermont for many systems including schools. Our staff are making attempts to reach those families not connected through email or internet; in some cases by phone or by any other means possible. If you know of a family that is not connected and can provide information to help us connect with them, please call the appropriate school or email the principal. If someone has internet but not email, please point them to our webpage.
• Our school board, administration, and staff greatly appreciate your patience and flexibility as we continue to navigate these uncharted waters. While we know there is a lot of uncertainty ahead of us, we will make it through this together. In the midst of the past few weeks, I have been touched by signs and words of encouragement and gratitude, as well as pride in and love for our schools and community. Those things help to keep us moving forward.
• Please remember that you can find more information on our webpage at: https://www.buusd.org/covid-19
Superintendent of Schools
Barre Unified Union School District
120 Ayers Street
Barre, VT 05641